An idea that’s always been with us

As I predicted, the antimatter containment chamber in the AMS is working perfectly! We have already captured significant quantities of anti-helium nuclei, little particles of antimatter that will change our world forever.

For some inexplicable reason, Gideon is concerned that I need ‘a break’ from our analysis; so much so, she advised I visit a museum or an art gallery to unwind! She claims I keep ‘zoning out’ as she calls it. Now granted, I used to visit such places for pleasure, but since the launch of the AMS there has been no need – one’s mind can only take so much stimulation after all!

I indulged her; almost entirely to stop her incessant whining which is driving me to my wits end, but despite my reluctance, Gideon’s suggestion has actually had a serendipitous outcome. Strolling through the historical and religious exhibits (which I know like the back of my hand), a pattern leapt out to me that I hadn’t previously noticed.



In these various works from periods of our history, majestic rays emanating from the skies above. And also, the awe and reverence shown by the simple beings beneath, their faces upturned to bask in the rays’ cosmic glory. The obvious conclusion is that these are depictions of rays of light emanating from our own Sun. But what if they suggest something more, something deeper, more profound? Of course these ancient civilisations couldn’t have predicted that entire regions of our Universe are composed of antimatter, and that it streams out to reach neighbouring galaxies. But what if their upturned faces, their worshipping eyes, reflect a belief that a change can come from above; that a new beginning can be ushered in through a cleansing force from beyond - a new beginning, an opportunity to be born again, to make a change in the world. Perhaps help to create a better one. What if this antimatter from the depths of the Universe is our opportunity? What if it can somehow be used to change our world for the better?

One thing is for sure, I’ve learnt my lesson about sharing these ideas with Gideon. She is increasingly narrow-minded; failing to see the wider ramifications of our research and the ultimate good it could bring for mankind. I will continue to record my thoughts here... these conversations with myself are proving to be the most fascinating of all.