Misunderstood

Since writing about my theories of anti-galaxies and anti-worlds I have received a number of emails and tweets from what would seem to be avid fans. It’s good to know that there are those out there who are willing to remove their blinkers and let their imaginations wander through the astronomical possibilities that my discovery gives us. Many of the messages were full of remorse that it’s unlikely we will ever see these cosmic marvels with our naked eyes, a sentiment that I wholeheartedly share. The world’s telescopes are all clambering to be the first to capture images of an anti-galaxy, but this is a poor substitute.

I shared some of my musings with Gideon, particularly the question of whether an anti-world would be a safer, more harmonious place, but her reaction was most unexpected. She was completely unwilling to entertain the ideas and wanted no part in the conversation. In fact, I am convinced I noticed a hint of scorn, almost disdain in her expression and tone. After being such a steadfast pillar of support since we began our brilliant collaboration, I really expected more of her. Betrayed is too strong a word, but I expected her to be more open-minded, more willing to suspend disbelief just for a few moments. But that smile, a mix of scorn and ridicule, ripped me to the pit of my stomach. I have been somewhat concerned that my daydreams of an antimatter utopia were beginning to consume me and thought it best to discuss it with a trusted colleague. But to lay out my ideas, highly grounded in science as they are, and to have them laughed at? Has she, like all the others, finally turned on me as I always feared she would? The knot is still there, I can feel it.